Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Is it 2 already?

Power struggles. We got them going on at my house. Today I took her to day care in her jammies because she didn't want to get dressed. I even was offering her favorite Santa shirt and she ran behind the couch. So I just packed her up and tossed her out at day care lady. I just can't handle a power struggle in the morning.

It started with the socks. She won't wear them! She will humor me and allows me to put them on her and once my back is turned, she sits down and takes off her shoes, removes her socks, and puts her shoes back on. If it wasn't happening to me, it would be funny. And I have given up...I offer the socks but don't force the issue. She won't freeze to death if she doesn't have socks on.

And get this! At the local retail store we were shopping on our weekly shopping trip and she wanted fruity marshmellows. I said no, we had some at home. Then she changed tactics. She asked to get down and push the cart. I let her do that and she dashes back to the fruity marshmellows, grabs them and runs them back to the cart, throws them over the side and starts pushing like crazy. I had to watch myself (so I wasn't laughing) and repeated that we had some at home. She also threw in some cereal, fruit snacks and cookies before I got her to ride in the cart again. (and I let her keep the fruit snacks) She is a determined little person!

1 comment:

by Amy Watkins said...

Oh Honey. I am laughing, but you are right when it was me I sure wasn't laughing. I don't know if it will work for you or not, but I simply followed LOVE AND LOGIC. I gave him 2 choices both that I was fine with. Like Mater socks or KSU socks. It was better than before because a power struggle in the morning ruined my whole day. We went to the sitters more than once in our jammies and no breakfast. I promise it will get better. In fact, I will let you know when it leaves our house so you can count down the days til it leaves yours.